Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Almost finished

We are getting closer to the end of this project and I'm still a bit worried about how its going to work with the internet problems, and will it get accepted by the app store in time?

Some of the more recent things I have worked on are:

Four Players - I finally managed to test it on 4 separate devices. It was buggy but it worked.

Choosing players - When the game connects, the device can't tell who is which player, so each device sends a 10 digit random number and when a device receives 3 numbers (along with its own) it sorts them numerically and matches its number to the numerical list to determine if it is player 1, player 2 .... then all 4 Rats are assigned to the 4 players and the game begins

Optimizing multiplayer - After being in a match for a while the messages sort of piled up and got delayed so the other players would see you as you were a few seconds ago. I fixed this by limiting the amount of messages sent to once every second frame. The rats movement looks slightly less smooth but the game will run nicely.

Multiple candy sets - There are a few candy sets, each containing 56 candies (14 per player) whenever you find a match the host device chooses one of these sets and sends it to the other players so you will never know where the candies are.

Game over/Summary screen - This is where you will see the score of all the other players and find out if you won.

At the moment I'm working on implementing the stunning mechanics between the Rats. currently the cat will stun a Rat if they touch. Our initial idea was to have fairly long stuns while they are stunned any player can mover their Rat over the affected player to remove the stun, so you could cooperate and deceive separate players. This mechanic sounds good on paper but I think it wouldn't be very fun. if you want to feel grateful for a player that helped you the stuns would need to be very long and players would easily get frustrated by this.
A better way to do it would be whenever 2 players touch they have a 50/50 chance of each one being stunned, this way deception would be risky but pay off if you are successful.

I'm quite happy with the game so far. I feel that it now explores our ideas about co-operation and deception pretty well with the current game mechanics


No comments:

Post a Comment